Where we came from ...
Stacks Image 0
Case Family in front of the old homeplace - early 1900's
Case Brothers was established in Biloxi, Mississippi as a partnership to tune and repair pianos and reed organs in 1904. Brothers George and Stephen Case worked together for several years before coming east in search of a larger customer base. They settled in northern Spartanburg County, SC in 1911 and worked together until the late 1920’s when the first George Case was killed by a train. Stephen Case and most of his family moved on to Tennessee leaving behind his oldest children, Aaron Case, George Case (named for his uncle) and Russell Case.
Stacks Image 1
Stephen Case
Stacks Image 2
George Case
A young man in his early 20’s, George Case was the piano tuner/technician of choice for several of the Colleges and Universities in Spartanburg, most notably Converse College and Wofford College. George Case tuned, repaired and marketed pianos out of his home up until 1934. He had acquired the Baldwin piano agency earlier and opened a retail showroom at the corner of St. John Street and Church Street. As many of the entries in his personal diary and business documents show, George had a thriving business. In the winter of 1943 that show room burned leaving only a shell of the original business. He had limited pianos from the manufacturers to sell because most of the businesses had been converted to the war effort. In order to have stock, George would make regular forays to Philadelphia, Chicago and New York to purchase older instruments to restore, once again marketing the instruments out of his home.
Stacks Image 3
George E. Case, Sr.
Stacks Image 4
Bennie T. Case, George E. Case, Sr. (seated), George E. Case, Jr. (Pat)
George began building his own store this time at the corner of Main Street and Pine Street which was completed about 1948. This two story building was well designed with an Auditorium upstairs, however, with the growth of Spartanburg parking was limited and he sold the property to purchase the old Maxwell estate in 1952. The Maxwell estate was a large 2 story home with walls of solid brick – 18” thick. He and his family lived upstairs and used the lower floor as piano showrooms. In 1954 the addition of a large showroom completed the 10,000 square foot complex which is Case Brothers today.

Stacks Image 5
Modern Case Brothers
Stacks Image 6
Jennie Case Williams & Tom Case, Current President
Leadership roles changed hands from George E. Case, Sr., to George E. Case, Jr. (Pat), and ultimately to Bennie T. Case through the years. In 1999 Thomas E. Case became President of Case Brothers marking the 5th generation of the Case family in the music business. Throughout our history there have been forays into surrounding markets with retail stores – Columbia, SC; Charlotte, NC; Forest City, NC just to name a few, but these retail operations had varying degrees of success.

George Case built his business with Baldwin pianos and later Baldwin organs which the store continued to carry until the early 1960’s. In 1959 the longest relationship we have had with any manufacturer was established with Jerome Markowitz and the Allen Organ Company. That relationship proved to be a valuable asset and continues today. Other notable relationships include Yamaha pianos which were a staple of Case Brothers business from the late 1960’s up until 1988 and a working partnership with the Steinway & Sons folks established in 1983 through the present.

Throughout its history Case Brothers has primarily been a Piano and Organ retail store with supporting services. We have always had a major piano rebuilding shop and more service personnel than sales personnel. There is no real “secret” to our longevity. The focus of the retail operation has always been looking out for our customer’s long term needs and emphasizing our commitment to service. Customer focus, great products and some of the best employees anywhere create a formidable competitor.

We intend to do our best to maintain the integrity of our business.